Why?
1. Extra cheesy biographies. I love the cheesy profiles on various athletes that makes me want to cheer for them, regardless of who I was rooting for before I watched the vignette. Yes, I am easily manipulated by the media on this topic.
2. Killer suspense. It is so fun to hide Lee's phone and keep him from his computer so he can't look up results before we watch the event on TV.
3. Memories... Every time the Olympics come around I think about watching the games with my family. I remember how growing up David owned the TV and didn't allow us to watch anything but the games. I remember how exciting 2002 was, and the night of the women's figure skating. How many people can say they had a baby when the Olympics were in town?
4. Track and Field. When else am I going to carve out the time to watch a women's marathon and even get a little teary-eyed at the finish?
5. Dreaming big... We went for a walk yesterday and the whole time Will and Josie were running, jumping, doing somersaults, and then jumping up into the victory pose. As I laughed and cheered them on, I remembered how after watching Mary Lou Retton in 1984, I knew I could win a gymnastics gold medal. The little problem of not knowing how to do gymnastics didn't deter me... I knew I could do it, or something else just as amazing. Maybe I need to go find that faith in myself again.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
See?!?! I TOLD you that you would thank me someday!
I find the Olympics really so inspiring to see these people, people who seem like they could be/are normal people and yet are competing as the "best athletes in the WORLD!" Makes me want to be at least the best at what I do that is for sure.
I also remember David controlling the tv and being bored at times. I also wanted to be a gymnast but too quickly realized I was a bit tall for the sport. :(
David taking over the TV (always) is what I remember too! The Olympics were SOOO boring as a kid. But yes, we do thank you, David. I also remember you and David not letting me watch Sesame Street because you wanted to watch Transformers instead. *sigh*, do you realize what the younger children in the family had to deal with? :)
haha! I wanted to be Mary Lou Retton too.
I'm so glad that you all learned the skill of how to deal with life's little difficulties by watching TV together. I love to watch the Olympics, especially the "thrill of victory." I usually feel bad for those suffering the "agony of defeat" after they have worked so hard for so many years.
By the way, did you hear on the news that those opening ceremonies couldn't have happened in the U.S.? I guess they forced the people to practice for hours on end, to the point of human abuse, in order to get the desired results. The man who put the whole thing together said that the only other country that could do it would be North Korea. The U.S. certainly could never do it because of their stress on human rights. I wonder if the same could be true of the Chinese athletes--I think it is true at least to a degree.
I love that simple view of life that children have. I remember one time when Seth was about 6 and he said "I can do anything I want to--except jump out the window and not get hurt." I had to laugh at his great albeit realistic attitude. As far as doing something else just as amazing as winning a gold medal in gymnastics, I think you've done something even harder. You have excelled at being a wife and mother. What's more amazing than that? :)
I found your blog! You have such a cute family. I can't wait to read more. -Jenn (Jackson)Harry
Post a Comment